Whether you’re a seasoned better or once-a-year type spectator, the onset of summer and start of the horse racing season always brings with it a sense of excitement and carefree fun.
If you think about how many days a year you get to enjoy some drinks in the sun with your friends and family and potentially make a few bucks, going to the races should be a no-brainer.
What isn’t always so easy is deciding which races to attend. We’ve all heard and probably watched some of the Royal Ascot, but what are some of the other alternatives that offer a cheaper way to get involved in the action.
2022 Cheltenham Festival
- When: 15-18 March 2022
- Where: Cheltenham Racecourse, Cheltenham, England
- Feature races: Unibet Champion Hurdle, Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, Ryanair Chase, Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Tickets from £40
Known to be the jewel of the Cotswolds, Cheltenham racecourse has showcased some of the best jump racing in Britain and is said to be one of the most anticipated events in the calendar.
Four extraordinary days of racing from Tuesday 15th to Friday 18th March 2022. Featuring 14 Grade One races across four seven-racecards as the best horses, trainers and jockeys go head to head.
2022 Coral Scottish Grand National Festival
- When: 1-2 April 2022
- Where: Ayr Racecourse, Scotland
- Feature races: Coral Scottish Champion Hurdle, Coral Scottish Grand National
- Tickets from £25
The Coral Scottish Grand National Festival is Scotland’s biggest and best two days of jumps racing and in 2022, they will be welcoming back crowds for the first time in three years.
Showcasing 15 races over Friday and Saturday, including the most famous jump races in Scotland – the Coral Scottish Grand National and the Coral Scottish Champion Hurdle.
2022 Randox Grand National
- When: Saturday 9 April 2022
- Where: Aintree Racecourse, Liverpool, England
- Feature races: Steeplechase
- Tickets from £27
The famous grand national is three days of top-class racing take place from Thursday 7 April to Saturday 9 April 2022, featuring nine Grade One races, before culminating in the greatest steeplechase of them all.
Watched each year by more than 500 million people in more than 140 countries, the Grand National is a race like no other, and sees its 40 competitors take on Aintree’s unique and world famous fences.
2022 Royal Ascot
- When: Tuesday 14 June to Saturday 18 June 2022
- Where: Ascot Racecourse, Ascot, England
- Feature races: Gold Cup, St James’s Palace Stakes, Queen Anne Stakes, Prince of Wales’s Stakes, Coronation Stakes, Golden Jubilee Stakes
- Tickets from £131
Revered across the globe, Royal Ascot attracts many of racing’s finest horses. It is also equally synonymous with sartorial elegance, being awash with exquisite fashion and magnificent millinery creations.
Running from Tuesday 14th to Saturday 18th June 2022 this four day splendour is for sure, something you wouldn’t want to miss!
2022 Moët & Chandon July Festival at Newmarket
- When: 7-9 July 2022
- Where: Newmarket Racecourse, Newmarket, England
- Feature races (flat): Darley July Cup, Princess of Wales’s Stakes, Tattersalls Falmouth Stakes
- Tickets from £16
This three-day race festival provides racegoers with the quintessential British summer racing experience. The Moet & Chandon festival is well known for its garden party atmosphere, exquisite fashion and exhilarating entertainment all taking place within the month of July – all at quite a reasonable price.
What are you waiting for?
Wherever you decide, SMC Coach Hire are on hand to help with your transport requirements. With vehicles ranging from 8-75 seats at competitive prices, our availability is quickly filling up so be sure to request a free quote today.